Monday, August 24, 2009

Monday Morning Smile


So this morning as I sip my cup of jolt and go through my Google reader, I had a wonderful find in Newsweek. Surprisingly, I come across this model, this beautiful woman who I can finally say, looks s bit like me. Lizzi Miller, a plus size model is featured in this September's Glamour magazine. And guess what? She has a pouch belly, much like me and tons of woman all over the world who have had babies. I must say I did a double take, ok triple take. Was I in more disbelief that she would actually pose like this, or was I more amused that Glamour would feature her? Either way this is a win, win situation. Being a Latina, I must say that I have never and will never look like those runway models. When I skim through my Vogue, Elle and Cosmo, I never do with the intention of finding some commonality between myself and these models. Latina magazine comes close, but again Jaslene Gonzalez (of ANTM Fame) is a rarity. But you know what? I'm happy with that, and I must say I love my curves. Finally, after being in my mid-30s I can say that I am comfortable in my own skin. And my lil pouch, well that representative of the miracles that I birthed.

My wish is that the media follow Glamour's lead and feature real women.

My message to Glamour would be thank you...when will she be on the cover??

3 comments:

  1. I never knew this. This is wonderful and you're so right! The media puts out that beauty should be skinny, flat tummy and no cellulite. Yea right!!

    Thanks Glamour!

    Keep on blogging.. I love reading what you write ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you chica, blogging is so much cheaper than a therapist :-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Txs for that website and for spreading the word. Curves are sexy!

    ReplyDelete