Thursday, September 10, 2009

Break in Case of Emergency!

I have a 2yr old son who has a speech delay. At two he has just a handful of words. Teaching him language has been on priority list for awhile. I am eternally grateful to the two wonderful teachers who come to work with him every week. I'm also fortunate to have a "family trainer" A.K.A. Nanny 911 who is helping me with his behavior issues. It seems that because he is not able to properly communicate, he gets frustrated and this effects his behavior negatively. I been working with Nanny 911 for about 2 weeks now. She is giving me tips on helping Andrew get through this hump. Lots of wonderful helpful advice but it seems the key is "redirection". Andrew is a strong willed little person. When he wants something, he will go to any length to get it. It could be punching, hitting, slapping, you get my point. Many a days have I left Target in tears because of him. It's that feeling where you want the Earth to swallow you, yeah you know. Well, she's been teaching me the art of redirection, which usually entails me keeping different things of interest in my bag when I go out, with a "break in case of emergency label". When he starts acting up and wants something, I "redirect" him by giving him something from my bag like M&Ms, or one of his favorite trains. Sound simple enough, yet I have found it to be very effective. He usually immediately transfers his attention to what I am offering him. Gosh this could possibly mean some peace for me, in the meantime I need to be redirected to the Sangria.

Stay sane and Chic everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment